MACON – SoConFest, a celebration of Mercer University's first weekend of competition in the historic Southern Conference, is only a week away.
The festivities will be highlighted by an evening of fun and music on Black Field, adjacent to the Moye Football and Lacrosse Complex, beginning at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 5.
A free concert, presented with production support from Bragg Jam, will be headlined by New Orleans-based rock septet The Revivalists and will also feature local favorites sunDollars, who open the show at 7:15 p.m.
A pep rally featuring head football coach Bobby Lamb and several players is tentatively set for 8 p.m., with The Revivalists, one of The Big Easy's best original bands, set to showcase their combination of danceable rock and soulful songwriting onstage at 8:15 p.m.
Following the concert, a fireworks display will begin at approximately 9:30 p.m.
Francar's, Papa John's and Texas Roadhouse will be on hand selling food throughout the event, which will feature a tailgating-type atmosphere with the following guidelines:
- Personal tents, grills, glass bottles and smoking will not be allowed on Black Field.
- Blankets, lawn chairs and umbrellas will be allowed.
- Guests are welcomed to bring their own picnic-style meal or purchase a meal from several vendors that will be set up onsite.
- Mercer reserves the right to refuse admission or remove those who are noticeably intoxicated and/or disruptive.
- All state laws will be observed.
- Help keep the campus beautiful by removing any trash from your area and depositing it in the receptacles provided, or by taking it with you.
The Bears will face Furman the next day at 6 p.m. in Mercer's first Southern Conference contest. Gameday lots will open for parking and tailgating at 9 a.m.