ATLANTA – Mercer University Provost Scott Davis today announced two appointments in the College of Pharmacy. Candace W. Barnett, Ph.D., interim dean of the College of Pharmacy and executive associate dean, was named the new Distinguished Professor in Pharmacy Administration, and Susan W. Miller, Pharm.D., chair and professor of pharmacy practice, was named the Hood-Meyer Alumni Chair.
The appointments were made in recognition of many years of dedicated service to the College by both faculty members.
Dr. Barnett becomes the College’s first Distinguished Professor in Pharmacy Administration. She was named interim dean effective July 1, following the retirement of Hewitt W. “Ted” Matthews, Ph.D., who served as dean for 27 years.
Dr. Barnett has served the College for 33 years, including as senior associate dean from 2005-2011 and associate dean for academic affairs from 1994-2004, where she was responsible for academic program assessment and institutional effectiveness.
She has served on the United States Pharmacopeia advisory committees on patient counseling and medication taking behavior and the DuPont Pharma MBA Advisory Committee. She is an associate fellow of the American College of Apothecaries.
Dr. Miller, BSPHM ‘79, PHARM ’83, becomes the College’s second Hood-Meyer Alumni Chair, following Dr. Matthews. The chair is named after Reuben Hood, the College’s first dean, from 1938-1950, and Minnie Meyer, the College’s second dean, from 1950-1952.
Dr. Miller has served the college for nearly 38 years in a variety of positions, including associate dean for administration from 2006-2009 and vice chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice from 2009-2013. She was appointed chair of the department in 2013.
She is a board certified geriatric pharmacist and a fellow of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists.
About the College of Pharmacy
Mercer University’s College of Pharmacy is ranked among the top five pharmacy programs at private institutions in the United States, according to the 2016 U.S. News & World Report. The college offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.). Founded in 1903 as the independent Southern School of Pharmacy, the school merged with Mercer University in 1959 and in 1981 became the first school in the Southeast to offer the doctor of pharmacy degree as its sole professional degree. In 1988, the College launched its graduate program, offering the Ph.D. degree in pharmaceutical sciences. The College is one of four health sciences units within the Mercer Health Sciences Center. With an enrollment today of more than 670 students and a distinguished faculty of basic scientists and clinicians, the College of Pharmacy houses seven centers focusing on research, teaching and learning. The college’s motto, “A Tradition of Excellence – A Legacy of Caring,” frames its philosophy of providing excellent academic programs in an environment where every student matters and every person counts. For more information about the college, visit pharmacy.mercer.edu.