Mercer Announces New Global Leader Scholarship Ahead of Annual Study Abroad Fair
MACON – Mercer University is celebrating Study Abroad Week Sept. 3-5 with the launch of a new scholarship to support students in the pursuit of long-term study abroad opportunities.
The inaugural Global Leader Scholarships will be available for the upcoming spring semester to selected students who wish to engage in long-term study abroad to deepen disciplinary subject matter from a new perspective and also have the experience of being immersed in a foreign culture for an extended period of time.
“Only about 3% of all students who study abroad, both at Mercer and nationally, choose to participate in long-term programs abroad. We would like to see this number increase,” said Dr. Julie Strecker, director of international programs and the English Language Institute at Mercer. “There are several barriers to extended study abroad, but we hope to reduce the financial barrier for as many students as possible.”
Mercer will annually offer eight to 10 scholarships of up to $8,000 per student. To be eligible to apply, students must be accepted to study abroad for eight weeks or longer on a Mercer exchange program or through one of the programs provided by an approved affiliate organization. The scholarship will be administered by the Office of International Programs, with applications reviewed by a committee of selected faculty and staff.
The application will be available on the Office of International Programs study abroad website at www.mercerabroad.com. Applications will open Oct. 15, and the deadline to apply for spring 2020 semester awards is Nov. 15. Awardees will be announced before the close of the fall semester. For questions about the scholarship, contact email@example.com.
Information on the new scholarship will be available at several events during Study Abroad Week Sept. 3-5:
- The annual Study Abroad Fair will take place in the Connell Student Center lobby on Sept. 3-4 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. each day.
- A “Study Abroad 101” information session will take place Sept. 3 from 5-6 p.m. in Connell Conference Room 3.
- A “Money and Study Abroad” information session will take place Sept. 4 from 5-6 p.m. in Connell Conference Room 3.
- The Mercer On Mission Expo will take place in the Connell Student Center lobby on Sept. 5 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- A Peace Corps information session and application workshop will take place Sept. 5 from 5-7 p.m. in Connell Conference Room 3.